Director-General of the GCSB
Andrew Hampton is the Director-General of the Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB). He has been in this role since April 2016.
Prior to joining the GCSB, Andrew spent much of his career in the Justice Sector, including Treaty settlement negotiations, courts administration and leading various significant change programmes. Senior positions he held in the Justice Sector include Director of the Office of Treaty Settlements, Deputy Secretary for Courts, and Deputy Chief Executive at the Crown Law Office.
Andrew has also held senior leadership positions elsewhere in the State Sector. He was Deputy Secretary and Director of the Secretary’s Office at the Ministry of Education. He was also the first Government Chief Talent Officer at the State Services Commission, a new role responsible for leadership development, workforce strategy and employment relations across government.
Andrew has a BA (Hons) and MA (Dist) in Political Science from the University of Canterbury and has attended the Oxford Strategic Leadership Programme.
- Lisa Fong (acting February 2016–April 2016)
- Una Jagose (acting February 2015–February 2016)
- Ian Fletcher (January 2012–February 2015)
- Simon Murdoch (acting July–December 2011)
- Lieutenant General Sir Jerry Mateparae (February–June 2011)
- Simon Murdoch (acting November 2010–February 2011)
- Air Marshal Sir Bruce Ferguson (2006–2010)
- Dr Warren Tucker (1999–2006)
- Ray Parker (1988–1999)
- Colin Hanson (1977–1988)