GCSB’s mission is to protect and enhance New Zealand’s security and wellbeing.
To achieve our mission, GCSB has two primary objectives - to deliver Impenetrable Infrastructure and Indispensable Intelligence.
- Impenetrable Infrastructure – New Zealand’s most important information infrastructures are impenetrable to technology borne compromise.
- Indispensable Intelligence – Our intelligence consistently generates unique policy and operational impacts for New Zealand.
Achieving these objectives guides GCSB’s internal planning, prioritisation and resource allocation.
Under the Intelligence and Security Act 2017, GCSB has five core functions:
- Intelligence collection and analysis;
- Information assurance and cyber security activities;
- Protective security advice and assistance;
- Co-operation with other public authorities to facilitate their function, and
- Co-operation with other entities to respond to imminent threat.
The New Zealand Security Operations Centre (NZSOC) at GCSB also provides a 24-hour 7-day threat warning service based on the combined efforts of the Five-Eyes watch-keeping services. NZSOC brings together information from a variety of sources in order to alert the New Zealand Government to incidents and threats around the world in a timely manner.